"To Raise up People who Follow Jesus in All of Life"
We believe in God as eternal Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God created and sustains the universe. The eternal purpose of God the Father is to create a people who will bring glory to God forever. God alone is worthy of worship.
We believe that God became human in Jesus Christ. Jesus came to restore the world because humans have rejected God in disobedience. Jesus taught and modeled the way of God’s kingdom. He died on the cross, making it possible for us to accept a renewed relationship with God. He rose from the dead, broke the power of sin and death, and frees us to live in obedience to God’s will.
We believe that God the Holy Spirit invites all people to be reconciled with God and to join the global family of faith. Believers confess their faith, are baptized, and join in the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. Through the power of the Holy Spirit and guided by the Bible, members of the church seek to live as followers of Christ and invite others to experience this new life.
As Christians, we are called to turn:
- from ignorance of God to a personal relationship with God
- from bondage of sin and past mistakes to freedom, forgiveness, and healing
- from individualism to interdependence with others in the local church
- from lifestyle choices that harm us, others, and the earth to choices that nurture wholeness, healing, joy, and peace
- from hating enemies and ignoring neighbours to showing love and justice to all
- from loving possessions to sharing with all in need
- from aimless existence to a mission of representing and proclaiming God’s kingdom on earth
As Christians, we look forward to the day when God will once again send Jesus to bring all things under God’s eternal rule.
Link to detailed MB Confession of Faith: http://www.mennonitebrethren.ca/resource/the-mb-confession-of-faith-detailed-edition/
- The Holy Bible is the source of leadership and guidance in all matters of our faith and it shapes how we put that faith into action in all of life.
Prayerful Dependence on God
- We rest in God and rely on Him for guidance in all areas of our lives.
- We show our love for God by obeying and praising Him and by giving thanks for all He has done.
- We desire to be authentic, vulnerable, accountable and loving in our relationships.
- We are intentional and committed as we strive for spiritual maturity.
Sharing the Gospel
- We proclaim Christ through our words and actions in every area of our lives.
- We carry out Christ's work by serving others according to how we are called and gifted.
- We joyfully and sacrificially manage the time, abilities and monetary gifts God has placed in our care.
River West Christian Church was planted in 1987 as a daughter church of the Lendrum Mennonite Brethren Church. The original name of the church was West Edmonton Mennonite Brethren Church. The stated vision of the church was to “penetrate the west end of Edmonton with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.” After meeting in rented facilities for several years a new church building was opened for ministry in Dec. 2003.