Giving to the Ministry of River West Christian Church
Our call to those who attend River West is that they would "Follow Jesus in All of Life" that includes our finances. With our finances we can express our love of God, the church, and others. A generous life is a true expression of a life desiring to follow Christ and committed to His mission for His church. Through joyful generosity our lives are changed and our world can be positively influenced. Our giving will have a significant impact on the church and our own individual spiritual journey as we follow Jesus in all of life.
What does the Bible say about Stewardship?
- God owns it all – Psalm 24:1 “The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it”
- Our heart follows our funds/spending – Matthew 6:21 "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
- Giving neutralizes our materialistic nature – 1 Timothy 6:18 & 19 “Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.”
- God prospers us so we can be generous – 2 Corinthians 9:10 & 11 “Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God..”
- God rewards us for our faithfulness – Luke 6:38 “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you..” Proverbs 22:9 “The generous will themselves be blessed, for they share their food with the poor.”
- Give cheerfully – 2 Corinthians 9:7 “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.”
How can I honour God with my finances?
- Give regularly – 1 Corinthians 16:2 “On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income.” As we faithfully, consistently give on a regular basis, a great giving habit is developed.
- Practice “First Fruits” Giving - Proverbs 3:9 - Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops. Giving is an act of worship and a statement of faith. Honoring God with your finances means that you return the first of your earnings to him. As a way to show that we trust him he asks us to return to him the first portion of what we have.
- Give Generously. The Old Testament established the tithe (10% of one’s income) as the benchmark for giving – Leviticus 27:30 “A tithe of everything from the land, whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees, belongs to the Lord; it is holy to the Lord." The New Testament teaches the principle of generosity – 2 Corinthians 9:6 “Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.” You are encouraged to trust God by giving generously. Tithing is still a great practice and we encourage it. Many people give above and beyond the tithe; however, if this sounds difficult for you to give, try setting a percentage of 3% to 5% as a starting point. Then as you trust God to meet your needs, you can increase your giving to further grow your faith and trust in Him!
How can I Donate at River West?
- Sunday Offering - Personal cheques or cash. If using cash, please use an offering envelope to receive a tax receipt.
- Pre-Authorized Giving - see below for more information.
- Interac E-Transfers
What is Pre-Authorized Giving? Pre-Authorized Giving is a convenient option for you to make regular donations directly from your bank account to River West Christian Church. You will authorize River West to charge your bank account once or twice each month for the amount you have chosen. This authorization will remain in effect until such time as you personally notify River West that you wish to end this agreement.
Will my gifts be treated confidentially? Definitely. This program will be handled through the Financial Committee and stringent confidentiality procedures will be maintained. All records (both electronic and hard copy) will be secured, and the computer files will be password protected.
How are charitable donation receipts handled? Each gift (regardless on how it was received) will be credited to your River West donor account and a receipt will be issued in February of each year for donations received during the previous calendar year.
How do I sign up for this plan? Please contact the church office or pick up a `Giving at River West Christian Church` Brochure the next time you`re at the church. Fill in the attached form and return it to the church. Your first withdrawal will take place on the date you request, unless we notify you otherwise.
How do I cancel or make changes? To change or cancel your Pre-Authorized Giving, provide River West with written notice 30 days prior to your next transaction. This notice should include the date and your full name. It can be placed in the offering plate, emailed, or mailed to the church office to the attention of the Church Treasurer, Paul Precht. You can also obtain a cancellation form or further information on your right to cancel a Pre-Authorized Debit Agreement at your financial institution or by visiting www.cdnpay.ca.
Can I make gifts to the church outside of my regular Pre-Authorized Giving commitment? We encourage you to make the Pre-Authorized Giving your regular commitment . When led by the Holy Spirit to give over and above your regular giving, you may donate in one of the other ways available and it will be credited to your donor account.
Where do your Donations go?
Gifts generally go into the General Fund and will be used in accordance with the budget approved by River West Christian Church and its Leadership Team. Benevolent offerings are taken separately on Sundays on which we share communion, and possibly on other special occasions.
- General Funds: Supports our church’s budget and all our ministries within that budget - Children, Youth, Young Adults, Small Groups, Women’s, Worship, Pastoral Care and Outreach, Foreign and Local Missions, support for Camp Evergreen and Mennonite Brethren Conference, as well as Facilities, Library and Personnel.
- Benevolent: Funding available to help those less fortunate in our church and city. We provide aid in crisis situations and support for those who are in financial difficulty.
River West Christian Church Designated Giving Policy
Contributions designated to a project or program approved by River West’s Leadership Team. Often designated gifts are made in response to a request from the Leadership Team or one of the Pastors. To make a designated gift, please indicate the designation on the memo line of the cheque or on the outside of the envelope if you use an envelope.
It is generally expected that designated gifts are offered in addition to one’s normal giving, rather than in replacement thereof.
Designated gifts will be used as designated, with the understanding that when the need has been met, or cannot be completed for any reason determined by the RWCC Leadership Team, any remaining contributions will be used where needed most, as determined by the RWCC Leadership Team.